What exactly changed in 1.16? This document will attempt an overview of the known breaking changes and new features.
Most attack goals are now data-driven Most Slime and swim goals are now data-driven Experience Orbs have been data-driven Fireballs have been data-driven Elytra have been data-driven NPC geometry and animations have been data-driven Tree generation is now data-driven Drowned are now data-driven Wither skull attacks are now data-driven Item sprites are now data-driven
minecraft:admire_item minecraft:barter minecraft:behavior.admire_item minecraft:behavior.avoid_block minecraft:behavior.barter minecraft:behavior.equip_item minecraft:behavior.rise_to_liquid_level minecraft:custom_hit_test minecraft:lava_movement minecraft:npc
- Custom blocks
- Custom Items
- Structure Blocks
- Scripting (JS)
- Timer components
"looping"key now only accepts boolean arguments. String-booleans like
"false"are no longer allowed.
- Map color definition changed to “minecraft:map_color”: “#FFFFFF”,
- Block component definition format has been updated and simplified.
- Models that have more than one locator [with the same name], e.g
leadwill now return an error, which wasn’t previously the case.
- Also the case if you use multiple geometries that each have the same locator. This is considered invalid, each locator must be unique in an entity.
type_familynow forces the inclusion of a separate “family” array. Before,
type_familyitself could be a list containing families.
is_weatherdeprecated changed to
- Addrider with Behavior Pack animations is broken.
on_interactwith ridden entities is broken.
"loop"attribute of client side animations has new option